Friday, June 9, 2017

A Squiggly Story, A Review

Squiggly Story, A by [Larsen, Andrew]
Amazon          Goodreads          Barnes and Noble
Books-A-Million                   Book Depository

Book Description


Who says there’s only one way to write a story?

A young boy wants to write a story, but he only knows his letters, not words. His sister says, “Why don’t you start there, with a letter?” So the boy tries. He chooses an easy letter to begin with. The letter I. And to his delight, with just the power of his vivid imagination, and no written words, an amazing story begins to unfold. Right before his eyes. 

This playful tale about creativity will inspire budding authors everywhere to envision new ways to write stories of their own. With or without words!
Review

I received an eARC copy of this book from the publisher. Here is my honest review.

One of the great joys of an educator is when young children begin to realize that letters make words and words make stories that can be read. When children learn to write, they are taking the first steps to being empowered to express their ideas. It is this beginning that Andrew Larsen captures in A Squiggly Story. I appreciate that the boy doesn't know how to write all his letters and that his words are conveyed through pictures since this is exactly how children begin writing. His sister encourages him along with his teacher and friends. I could see this book being a valuable resource in a preschool classroom as a way to reinforce the concept of letters creating words and that anyone can write. 

I gave this book: 

★ = I did not like it     ★ = It was okay     ★ = I liked it    
★ = I really liked it     ★ = I loved it

No comments: