Thursday, January 2, 2020

Picture Book Roundup

Amazon          Goodreads          Barnes and Noble
Books-A-Million                    Book Depository

Book Description

Mother and Father Koala are suspicious of the “other bears.” They don’t like the panda bears’ looks and they don’t trust the polar bears. The black bears are too noisy and the brown bears have big teeth . . . . But all their grumpiness melts away as they watch the littlest bears play together and realize that their similarities and common needs far outweigh their differences.
Review

I received an eARC copy of this book from the publisher. Here is my honest review.

What a delightful book with a big message! We have a bear theme at our preschool each year and I'm always looking for bear books outside of the Winnie the Pooh family. This book went straight into my Amazon cart; it will be perfect to add to our shelves during that unit. I'm a sucker for wonderful illustrations and Thompson did a remarkable job. There is so much detail and culture represented with each bear family leading to even more topics of discussion and discovery. I love that each page has a little hidden teddy bear that adds another fun element of investigation to the book. The end papers highlight different species of bears noting where they are found and a fun fact about them. I would introduce one each day of our unit. Finally, this book is more than great illustrations - the message packs a powerful punch! The Koalas are distressed by all the new, "other" bears and focus on their differences. The Koala children however focus on what elements they bring that are positive, such as their games, stories and songs. It's a beautiful picture of how to welcome in newcomers. I can see great discussions being fostered around the idea that we are all different, but we all contribute to life and we should appreciate that and treat each other kindly. 



I gave this book: 

★ = I did not like it     ★ = It was okay     ★ = I liked it    ★ = I really liked it     ★ = I loved it

Amazon          Goodreads          Barnes and Noble
Books-A-Million                   Book Depository

Book Description

Nancy knows she's forgotten something. Something important. When she tries to remember, she thinks of all kinds of other things instead. She remembers things she knows and things she doesn't quite know. She remembers things one way, then another. Sometimes she remembers with her ears or her stomach or even her heart. But Nancy knows she's still forgetting something. It's only when Nancy stops thinking altogether that she finally remembers the very important thing she's forgotten. Nancy Knows is the charming story of an elephant who remember lots of things, except the very thing she is trying to remember. Each spread of this whimsical, arresting picture book features fantastic miniature paper sculptures within expressive outlines of a puzzled pachyderm. It's a book not to be forgotten.

Review

I received an eARC copy of this book from the publisher. Here is my honest review.

My name is not Nancy and I am not elephant but I can relate! I fell in love with this book because of the artwork. It has the feel of an I Spy book but with sophistication. Young is a talented paper artist and each page reveals her creations: some recognizable and some abstract. There is something to catch the eye every time you read it. 


I gave this book: 

★ = I did not like it     ★ = It was okay     ★ = I liked it    ★ = I really liked it     ★ = I loved it

Amazon          Goodreads          Barnes and Noble
Books-A-Million                  Book Depository

Book Description

A reassuring and hilarious look at a child’s trepidation about meeting his first babysitter then realizing he adores her! When Ollie’s parents hire a babysitter, Ollie’s cuddle buddy Stubbs imagines the worst: what if the babysitter sprays them with stinky perfume . . . what if the babysitter only cooks yucky green vegetables? But when Ollie and Stubbs meet Ella . . . what happens next just might surprise you! Anke Wagner’s pitch-perfect story and Anne-Kathrin Behl’s humorous illustrations will comfort and entertain!

Review

I received an eARC copy of this book from the publisher. Here is my honest review.

The unknown is often unsettling, no matter what age we are. For young children, this is especially so as they encounter the bigger world around them. This book explores the process of confronting our fears. Ollie's bear imagines the worst possible scenarios, that seem ridiculous from an adult vantage, but are likely to be on target for children. Of course, the babysitter ends up to be a delightful young woman who plays with them and cares for them. 
Bringing in a babysitter can be a tough for parents and children alike; this book will open the conversation about what to expect. 

I gave this book: 

★ = I did not like it     ★ = It was okay     ★ = I liked it    ★ = I really liked it     ★ = I loved it


Amazon          Goodreads          Barnes and Noble
Books-A-Million                 Book Depository

Book Description

Edie is known for her great outfits and stylish flair. She and her best friend Andrew spend a lot of time playing dress-up. The school hall is their runway. Edie loves the compliments and whispers of admiration, so much so that she begins dressing in increasingly outrageous outfits to get even more attention. No outfit is too bizarre, no costume too flamboyant for Edie. She's so busy coming up with her newest eye-catching ensemble that she doesn't even have time for Andrew anymore ... until one day Edie creates an outfit so weird and so big and bulky that she gets stuck in the doorway. Will anyone notice that this budding fashionista is in trouble?

Review

I received an eARC copy of this book from the publisher. Here is my honest review.


Edie is the most fashionable deer in her school. She enjoys expressing herself with her outfits and loves the attention she gets. I love the confidence she and her best friend have in looking their best.  Edie is compelled to create even more outrageous outfits in an attempt to keep the likes coming. 
For younger students, this is an excellent book to remind students that they should pursue their passions and be themselves. For older students, it can be used to spark discussions revolving around social media and finding value in who you are and not what people say or notice about you on social media. 



I gave this book: 

★ = I did not like it     ★ = It was okay     ★ = I liked it    ★ = I really liked it     ★ = I loved it


No comments: