Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Tweet Cute by Emma Lord, A Review

Amazon          Goodreads          Barnes and Noble
Books-A-Million         Book Depository

Book Description

Meet Pepper, swim team captain, chronic overachiever, and all-around perfectionist. Her family may be falling apart, but their massive fast-food chain is booming ― mainly thanks to Pepper, who is barely managing to juggle real life while secretly running Big League Burger’s massive Twitter account.

Enter Jack, class clown and constant thorn in Pepper’s side. When he isn’t trying to duck out of his obscenely popular twin’s shadow, he’s busy working in his family’s deli. His relationship with the business that holds his future might be love/hate, but when Big League Burger steals his grandma’s iconic grilled cheese recipe, he’ll do whatever it takes to take them down, one tweet at a time.

All’s fair in love and cheese ― that is, until Pepper and Jack’s spat turns into a viral Twitter war. Little do they know, while they’re publicly duking it out with snarky memes and retweet battles, they’re also falling for each other in real life ― on an anonymous chat app Jack built.

As their relationship deepens and their online shenanigans escalate ― people on the internet are shipping them?? ― their battle gets more and more personal, until even these two rivals can’t ignore they were destined for the most unexpected, awkward, all-the-feels romance that neither of them expected.

Review

I received an eARC copy of this book from the publisher. Here is my honest review.

I hoped to like this book - I thought the cover was adorable and the title drew me in with the social media reference.  I expected to like it, and I did. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did, which is a refreshing change to my reading of YA literature. 

This book was utterly adorable! Pepper and Jack and their friends reminded me of the students that I used to teach when I was in the high school realm. Lord captured the world of studies, friends, parents, love and the future perfectly.  It was a little hard for this Texas mom to believe that Pepper's mom was gone all the time but I figure it's NY and a story element. She was the one character that I really didn't connect with. Pepper and Jack are the stars of the show and they both shine brilliantly.  

It's hard to imagine life without social media these days. I thought the Twitter war was a fun way to explore how we interact with each other, how our perceptions of people change, how a screen persona is just a fragment of what makes up a person. It was very well done. Jack's app is a wonderful idea although a bit idealistic. I wish all teens could behave so positively to each other in an anonymous world.

I love working in preschool. But there are times when I miss the days I worked and taught in high school. Teens are a special community and I loved my years I spent working with them. This book made me yearn for those days. 



I gave this book: 

★ = I did not like it     ★ = It was okay     ★ = I liked it    

★ = I really liked it     ★ = I loved it

No comments: