Monday, August 17, 2020

Max the Brave by Ed Vere

Max the BraveMax the Brave by Ed Vere
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I requested this book on Netgalley years ago. Years. I've read it several times at our preschool over the years. Kids love it because they know more than Max as he tries to learn what a mouse is so he can chase it. As an educator, I love it because it is a great way to talk about being brave! In my opinion, a good picture uses rich vocabulary. All the animals Max encounters have seen the mouse and they use a wide variety of words to explain the mouse's movement: scurry, dash, skitter and more.
Illustrations are easily my favorite part of picture books - and Vere's use of bold colors and then simple, black, shadow-style renderings for the characters is appealing. There is not a lot of detail in the artwork, and yet there is a great deal of movement on each page.

I received a dARC from the publisher via Netgalley.* Here is my honest review.
*expired. reviewed copy from school 

I gave this book: 

★ = I did not like it     ★ = It was okay     ★ = I liked it    ★ = I really liked it     ★ = I loved it

No comments: