Tuesday, August 4, 2020

The Tea Dragon Society by Katie O'Neill - A Review

The Tea Dragon Society (Tea Dragon, #1)

Amazon          Goodreads          Barnes and Noble
Books-A-Million                   Book Depository

Book Description

After discovering a lost tea dragon in the marketplace, Greta learns about the dying art form of tea dragon care-taking from the kind tea shop owners, Hesekiel and Erik. As she befriends them and their shy ward, Minette, Greta sees how the craft enriches their lives—and eventually her own.

Review

I received a dARC copy of this book from the publisher. (But it expired before I read it so I checked a copy out from my library.)  Here is my honest review.

This graphic novel is absolutely enchanting!  I typically think of graphic novels as a format that deals weightier subjects and is more adventure focused. I also tend to think of them for older readers.  I requested this on Netgalley because I wanted to read more graphic novels (but didn't want a horror subject) and because it seemed geared to younger readers.  This graphic novel by Katie O'Neill proves that this format works for all kinds of stories. 

The two main characters are Greta and Minette, young girls who want to make a difference in their world. They become friends as they learn about caring for tea dragons while also learning the importance of friendship, reliability, community and traditions. It's a simple story, told simply and yet conveys such richness and depth. The artistic style is beautiful and evokes a serene feeling. And of course, the magic and whimsy of tea dragons is just delightful.  And what a treat to reach the end of the book, fully satisfied, and find bonus pages at the end about the history of tea dragons and how to care for them.  O'Neill also does a great job including characters in her books that display disabilities - so helpful for young children to see and be able to discuss. 

I'm enchanted!!!

So enchanted I picked up the next book in the series and have asked my library to order the third.  


I gave this book: 

★ = I did not like it     ★ = It was okay     ★ = I liked it    ★ = I really liked it     ★ = I loved it

No comments: