Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine Boxes

Remember being in school and creating something to hold valentines? When I was growing up, we did it in class, from a big piece of construction paper and made a pocket that we glued cut out hearts onto. Simple and perfect.

I recently participated in a Valentine Box swap. My partner, Laurie from Indulge Your Shelf,  spoiled me with what she sent. I cannot tell you how perfect the  items she picked out for me are! 

Here is a quick picture of what I pulled out of the box. Laurie even put a huge heart shaped doily on the box but I didn't take a photo of that. Lots of attention to the little things is one of her strengths!
Here is a close-up. I wish you could see the detail on this. Laurie created a box in a style that I really love but have a hard time personally pulling off. Lots of text and DTP (direct-to-paper). And see that gorgeous heart crochet trim? And that pretty tin? It's very sparkly in real life. Look close and you'll see another favorite - Laurie used some sort of netting - I'm thinking it might have been off a vintage hat? 
This is what I saw when I first opened up the box. Swoon, right? A pretty vintage doily - love it! And in the corner - do you see? Laurie had posted on her blog some little fabric hearts she had been sewing - I was beyond excited to see one in my box!! 

Here is a close-up shot. It is very romantic with the lace and the tiny ribbon holding a "love" charm! 

And the back of the heart - just as lovely! 

Laurie had packaged all these elements in those cool cellophane bags but I took out quickly and spent time with each one. Lots of ephemera (stuff that I don't see around these parts) - she has an etsy shop where you can pick up pieces just as wonderful.

I wish I'd gotten a better shot of this photo as there are so many wonderful treasures in this shot! In the upper right is a lovely ceramic? plaster? piece with roses. Swoon. And then there was a tin inside for me to alter, filled with goodies like a frozen charlotte, cabachons, and then a really cool paper spool. It's definitely vintage, very soft colors, and has an embossed design. I don't know what it is exactly, but I know that I love it! If you look carefully you'll see the pink bottom layer. It has lily of the valley flowers on it. I had mentioned that I loved roses and lily of the valley and Laurie sent so many items with those images. It is a small table runner size and I can't honestly decide if I want to leave it as is to enjoy or make it into a Pretty Pocket to enjoy. 

Laurie also sent this lovely little sack with another treasure inside. It held a tin that she had altered a little into a pincushion and then it has the prettiest doily gathered up  around the bottom. It looks so pretty sitting on the table! And check out the stick pin!


Here is an inside shot of the tin. Oh my, full of the prettiest items. Laurie heads up the Button Floozies blog and she sent a terrific selection. I can't get over how sweet that big red button is! I'd like to say that I will use it in a project, but I have a feeling that I'll just keep it and always think of Laurie when I see it. 
Here are just a few of the favorites from the tin. My little man (who is not so little anymore) loved the charm the best. He picked it up right away and mimed out "I love you" to me. That boy melts my heart every day! 

Laurie, Thank you so much for sending me such a pretty box, full of sweet treasures. I know that I will be enjoying them for years to come!


2 comments:

Cassie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laurie said...

Your son sounds like such a sweetheart! I am so happy you were happy with the box I sent!