Thursday, June 8, 2017

A Horse Named Steve, A Review

Horse Named Steve, A by [Collier, Kelly]
Amazon          Goodreads          Barnes and Noble
Books-A-Million                    Book Depository

Book Description


“Steve is a fine horse. But he thinks he could be finer. He wants to be EXCEPTIONAL.” 

When Steve finds a gold horn in the forest and attaches it to his head, ta-da! Exceptional! His friends are so impressed, they, too, attach objects to their own heads, in an effort to be as exceptional as Steve. So when Steve suddenly realizes his horn has gone missing, he’s devastated! He won’t be exceptional without his horn! Or will he?

A laugh-out-loud tale of an endearingly self-absorbed horse who learns that there’s more than one way to blow your own horn.

Review

I received an eARC copy of this book from the publisher. Here is my honest review.

I really wanted to love this book. The illustrations are nice; I especially like how some of the story is shown in boxes spread across the page and that there are hoofprints as a visual clue for the reading order. Unfortunately, while Steve is cute, he's not a character that I fell in love with. As for the writing, Collier included lots of great vocabulary, but it was done in a way that made me think of the Fancy Nancy series. 
Our culture wants everyone to feel special - exceptional even. It's almost part of our human nature. This book completely missed the mark on sending the message that it's not our looks, possessions, friends or talents that make us special. 

I gave this book: 

★ = I did not like it     ★ = It was okay     ★ = I liked it    
★ = I really liked it     ★ = I loved it

No comments: