Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Crown of Souls (Tox Files #2) by Ronie Kendig, A Review

Crown of Souls (Tox Files #2)
Amazon          Goodreads          Barnes and Noble
Books-A-Million          Lifeway          Christian Book          Book Depository

Book Description


Six months after stopping a deadly plague, Cole "Tox" Russell and his team are enjoying a little rest. That peace is short-lived when a sniper shot hits Tox. The enemy is discovered to be one of their own, a rogue Special Forces team operator. 
Alec King is perhaps the only person as skilled as Tox, and he's out for justice. Furious with orders that got his men killed, he intends to make those responsible pay. And he insists Tox join him, believing they are the same breed of soldier. 
Afraid his old friend is right, Tox battles a growing darkness within himself as he and his team engage in another deadly encounter with antiquity. It appears Alec is cheating--he's using a mysterious artifact, a crown that history has linked to some of the worst slaughters in humanity. Racing to stop Alec before his vengeance is unleashed, Tox must fight the monster without becoming one.


Review

I received an eARC copy of this book from the publisher. Here is my honest review.

I really like to read books in order although sometimes it's not necessary to read a series in order. I didn't realize that this was a series and so I spent the first half of the book feeling disconnected: I was still trying to figure out who all the characters were and what they brought to this elite team of soldiers. 
I'm really glad I stuck with it as the story took off for me about 40% in; the plot was thickening and I finally felt connected to the characters. Tox did annoy me a bit with all his self-recrimination. 
Another thing that surprised me about this story was the way Kendig mixed the soldier thriller genre with fantasy (science fiction?). It's a very unique perspective and made the story super interesting. Another aspect that I appreciate about this book is for a military focused book, it is very clean: no sex (kissing but nothing beyond that), no language and the violence is not over the top. 

I enjoyed it and look forward to the next book in the series and seeing what evil the Wraith team battles next. 
I gave this book: 

★ = I did not like it     ★ = It was okay     ★ = I liked it    
★ = I really liked it     ★ = I loved it

No comments: