Friday, January 3, 2020

The Glittering Hour by Iona Grey

Amazon          Goodreads          Barnes and Noble
Books-A-Million                   Book Depository

Book Description

Selina Lennox is a Bright Young Thing. Her life is a whirl of parties and drinking, pursued by the press and staying on just the right side of scandal, all while running from the life her parents would choose for her.
Lawrence Weston is a penniless painter who stumbles into Selina's orbit one night and can never let her go even while knowing someone of her stature could never end up with someone of his. Except Selina falls hard for Lawrence, envisioning a life of true happiness. But when tragedy strikes, Selina finds herself choosing what's safe over what's right.
Spanning two decades and a seismic shift in British history as World War II approaches, Iona Grey's The Glittering Hour is an epic novel of passion, heartache and loss.

Review

I received an eARC copy of this book from the publisher. Here is my honest review.

I remembered the first Iona Grey book I read and how much it impacted me so I did not hesitate to say yes to reading her latest.  Grey is a fabulous writer, able to capture human emotion accurately in the written word.  Read this book. It is likely that you will cry (I was sobbing at the end) but you will be better for it, for glimpsing a love and devotion that spans time and distance. 

Reviews for books that I loved at this level are difficult to write. I don't want to spoil anything and yet want to gush with all the details. One of the reasons I enjoyed this book is the language - Grey writes beautifully, which rich, enchanting words. It is so easy to picture the setting of each scene. This book features a dual timeline, which is also handled very well. 

If you enjoy Downton Abbey, this is a book that fits in with that era in history. 

I eagerly await Grey's next book - she has cemented herself on my auto-buy author list. 




I gave this book: 

★ = I did not like it     ★ = It was okay     ★ = I liked it    ★ = I really liked it     ★ = I loved it

No comments: