Sunday, February 12, 2023

Everything is Just Beginning by Erin Bartels, A Review

 

Amazon          Goodreads          Barnes and Noble
Books-A-Million           Christian Book          Book Depository

Book Description

An Immersive Story of Music, Struggle, and Starting Over from an Award-Winning Author

Michael Sullivan is a talented lyricist and a decent guitarist, but since he was kicked out of his band (and his apartment), he's not sure he'll ever get a record deal. Living with his loser uncle in a beat-up trailer and working a dead-end job, Michael has little reason to hope for a better future. Until the invitation for a swanky New Year's Eve party shows up in the mailbox. It's for his uncle, with whom he shares his name, but his uncle is going out of town . . .

On the effervescent night of December 31, 1989--as the Berlin Wall is coming down, the Soviet Union is inching toward democracy, and anything seems possible--Michael will cross paths with the accomplished and enigmatic young heir to a fading musical dynasty, forever altering both of their futures.

Award-winning novelist Erin Bartels enchants with this story of two lonely souls who have exactly what the other one needs--if they could simply turn their focus from what is ending to what is just beginning.

Review

Oh what a gem of a book!

I was drawn to the title of this book and loved the point in the book where it comes together with the story and just makes so much sense. 
I'm not even sure I realized it was a guitar on the cover when I requested it. Beginning the book, it is clear that music is a strong theme in the book. I like music, but I wouldn't say that it is something I think about very much. I am definitely a "it's in the background" sort of listener. 

Beginning the book, I wasn't sure about the protagonist Michael and how I would relate to his story and music. I read the final sentence in chapter 3 and realized that I was hooked and invested in this story.  While it seemed at the moment that romance would be the central theme of the book, it quickly became clear that this is not a romance book. I don't want to give away story elements but this is a beautiful book that explores family, hurt, forgiveness, generosity, and finding oneself.  Love is present, but that's not what the story is about.  

Some other things I liked:
* There is so much music in this book and Bartels does an excellent job of keeping it from being pretentious.
I loved the quiet faith the Wheelers shared with Michael. As more of his story was revealed, I found their acceptance and inclusion of him into their life inspiring. 
* While Michael and Natalie are young, this is not a New Adult book. Bartels approaches the common experience of passion, goals, drive that is indicative of this era in a thoughtful and realistic manner. 

Bonus touches that added to the enjoyment of reading this book:
1. The cover somehow manages to have raised areas mimicing the guitar strings. I thought the cover was okay - but as I read the book, it became clear that it is PERFECTION for this story. 
2. Instead of chapters, there are tracks along with an A side and a B side, pulling the music theme into the tiniest detail.
3. Somewhere in the first third of this book, I wrote a note to myself at the beginning that the book:  this book needs a playlist. why don't books come with QR codes to things like that? And then I turned the last page, and there were 3 QR codes to music for this book. I can't wait to re-read this book with the music playing along. 

Bravo Erin! I can't imagine this book not being in my top 5 for the year. 
Thank you to Revell for providing a copy of the book to review. These are my honest thoughts.


I gave this book: ★ 

★ = I did not like it     ★ = It was okay     ★ = I liked it    ★ = I really liked it     ★ = I loved it


No comments: