Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Anne of Green Gables: A Graphic Novel, A Review

Anne of Green Gables: A Graphic Novel
Amazon          Goodreads          Barnes and Noble
Books-A-Million                    Book Depository

Book Description

Schoolyard rivalries. Baking disasters. Puffed sleeves. Explore the violet vales and glorious green of Avonlea in this spirited adaptation.

The spirit of Anne is alive and well in Mariah Marsden's crisp adaptation, and it's a thrill to watch as the beloved orphan rushes headlong through Brenna Thummler's heavenly landscapes. Together Marsden and Thummler conjure all the magic and beauty of Green Gables. Like Anne herself, you won't want to leave.
 — Brian Selznick, author/illustrator of “The Invention of Hugo Cabret” and “The Marvels”


The magic of L.M. Montgomery’s treasured classic is reimagined in a whimsically-illustrated graphic novel adaptation perfect for newcomers and kindred spirits alike.

When Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert decide to adopt an orphan who can help manage their family farm, they have no idea what delightful trouble awaits them. With flame-red hair and an unstoppable imagination, 11-year-old Anne Shirley takes Green Gables by storm.

Anne’s misadventures bring a little romance to the lives of everyone she meets: her bosom friend, Diana Barry; the town gossip, Mrs. Lynde; and that infuriating tease, Gilbert Blythe. From triumphs and thrills to the depths of despair, Anne turns each everyday moment into something extraordinary.


Review

I received an eARC copy of this book from the publisher. Here is my honest review.

A thoroughly enjoyable adaptation of a beloved novel. Anne of Green Gables is such a beautifully written story and is so dear to my heart that I wanted to read this...but I was a little hesitant as well. (The new Netflix adaptation of Anne is not a favorite for me). I like my Anne with all her quirks and spunk to retain her positive outlook on life. It's one of her strengths.
Marsden did a fabulous job of pulling out the highlights of the book and reworking them into a graphic novel format while retaining some of the beautiful and lyrical language of L.M. Montgomery. It is Anne, and Marilla, and Matthew, and Diana, and Gil, and Josie, and Rachel Lynde that you find in the pages of the original novel. I know these characters and I know this story - that background definitely added to my enjoyment of the book. It's hard to say for sure how someone who hasn't read the novel would experience this, but I imagine that they would find a kindred spirit in Anne and want to read the series.
The only reason I didn't give that fifth star was the artwork. I think Thummler did a great job based on my limited exposure to this genre; it is certainly in keeping with the style of other graphic novels I've read. While the background or landscape scenes were lovely, I wished the scenes with the characters would have showcased more of the softness and elegance that I associate with Avonlea, PEI and the time period in general. The novel has a very idyllic feel to me and I didn't feel like all of the artwork captured that.* That is just my personal preference and I still enjoyed this very much!

*Not related to this review, but the blurb mentions that Thummler is working on her own graphic novel, which I would pick and read.
I gave this book: 

★ = I did not like it     ★ = It was okay     ★ = I liked it    
★ = I really liked it     ★ = I loved it

No comments: