Friday, August 25, 2017

Sam Callahan Series, A Review

The Tracker (Sam Callahan #1)     Shadow Shepherd (Sam Callahan #2)
Sam Callahan Series
Amazon          Goodreads          Barnes and Noble
Books-A-Million                    Book Depository

Book Description

The Tracker (Sam Callahan #1)  Trust no one. Sam Callahan learned this lesson from a childhood spent in abusive foster care, on the streets, and locked in juvie. With the past behind him and his future staked on law school, he is moonlighting as a political tracker, paid to hide in crowds and shadow candidates, recording their missteps for use by their opponents. One night, after an anonymous text tip, Sam witnesses a congressional candidate and a mysterious blonde in a motel indiscretion that ends in murder, recording it all on his phone.

Now Sam is a target. Set up to take the fall and pursued by both assassins and the FBI, he is forced to go on the run. Using the street skills forged during his troubled youth—as well as his heightened mental abilities—Sam goes underground until he can uncover who is behind the conspiracy and how far up it goes. A taut thriller with an unforgettable young hero, The Tracker is a heart-stopping debut from an exciting new voice.

Shadow Shepherd (Sam Callahan #2)  As a former political tracker with a brand-new law degree, Sam Callahan has turned his life around, leaving behind a childhood ravaged by abuse and a fatally dangerous job shadowing political candidates. Now a lawyer, Sam hopes for a risk-free future, but harm’s way has a much longer reach than he could ever expect.
His very first legal client is gunned down in a Mexico City hotel, and Sam barely dodges a bullet himself. Suddenly on everyone’s most-wanted list—brutal hit men, hostile cops, relentless FBI agents, and even an infamous assassin—he doesn’t have the luxury of finding out why.
When Sam’s girlfriend is dragged into the fray by a kidnapper, Sam would do anything to save her life. The catch? He’s got only twenty-four hours to do it…but any number of ways to die.

Review

I received an eARC copy of this book from the publisher. Here is my honest review.

Kindle Unlimited suggested The Tracker as a book I might enjoy - and I did.  I thought Sam was a likeable character: he's a modern-day Horatio Alger hero who has faced hardship and poverty but was fighting for a life other than what he had. From the beginning, the plot grabs you with who, what, why? On just the aspect of the political/lawyer thriller, the plot is good and has some unseen twists and turns. On top of that, Zunker does quite a bit of character building with flashbacks to Sam's childhood and youth. While this book isn't marketed as a faith-based book there are elements of Christianity in the story that I also enjoyed; Zunker added this element in a genuine, raw, grace-filled way instead of as extra fluff or sugary sweetness. I knew that there was the potential for the book to launch a series and that I wanted to see how faith would continue to impact Sam as he grew into adulthood.
When I saw the sequel, Shadow Shepherd, appear on NetGalley, I quickly requested it and was happy to not have to wait any longer to catch up with Sam. With this book, Zunker switches from first person to third person. I tend to enjoy first person less but it didn't drive me crazy like many do. It definitely worked in the first book to show how quickly Sam was having to act and react as the story unfolded. The move to third person added more detail and depth as the story unfolded. It was a nice shift but it does give a slightly different experience as a reader: instead of knowing just a little, you have a broader view. All that to say, I enjoyed the second book as well. The mystery of this book felt a little more disconnected and then suddenly it was the end. I felt a little cheated by the resolution, although I do understand that it's not so much an ending as a pause to transition to the next book. What I really loved about Shadow Shepherd was seeing Sam working as a lawyer and how his relationships with the people in his life are growing/changing/ending. I can't wait to know what's next for Sam and how he is going to continue to grow and face the challenges that are sure to come.

I gave The Tracker
I gave Shadow Shepherd

★ = I did not like it     ★ = It was okay     ★ = I liked it    
★ = I really liked it     ★ = I loved it

No comments: