Monday, November 13, 2017

His Third Victim by Helen H Durrant, A Review


Amazon                   Goodreads          


Book Description

A man is shot dead and his body is dumped on the moors. His arm is stamped with the Chinese symbol for sorry.

There have been five unsolved murders with the same hallmark. The police can’t find any motive or connection between the victims.

Bella Richards was close to the murdered man. She lives with her five-year son and has begun a new life in the local area. But although clearly grief-stricken, she is not telling the police everything she knows.

Detective Talbot Dyson wants his most trusted inspector on the case. But DI Matt Brindle is out of action. He was badly injured and his sergeant was killed in a criminal ambush. He is drawn into the investigation and must decide whether he wants to go to back to his old life.

What is the real connection between the victims and who will be next

Review

I received an eARC copy of this book from the publisher. Here is my honest review.

This is the first in a series of the first of Durrant's work that I've read. I liked that this police procedural is set in Britain and it was a fairly good contribution to the genre. The serial killer in this book was definitely an interesting case. I also like the character of Brindle and can see that there is room for a lot of growth and depth as this series develops. I did find the plot a little predictable at times. And the ending was so incredibly rushed, I felt very cheated. It's strength is that it is a good book if you like police procedurals or thrillers without all the gore and disturbing psychological elements. I would read more in the series although I'm not sure I would deliberately seek it out.

I gave this book: 

★ = I did not like it     ★ = It was okay     ★ = I liked it    
★ = I really liked it     ★ = I loved it

No comments: