Thursday, November 9, 2017

The Welcome Home Diner by Peggy Lampman, A Review


Amazon          Goodreads          Barnes and Noble
Books-A-Million                    Book Depository

Book Description

Betting on the city of Detroit’s eventual comeback, cousins Addie and Samantha decide to risk it all on an affordable new house and a culinary career that starts with renovating a vintage diner in a depressed area of town. There’s just one little snag in their vision.

Angus, a weary, beloved local, is strongly opposed to his neighborhood’s gentrification—and his concerns reflect the suspicion of the community. Shocked by their reception, Addie and Samantha begin to have second thoughts.

As the long hours, problematic love interests, and underhanded pressures mount, the two women find themselves increasingly at odds, and soon their problems threaten everything they’ve worked for. If they are going to realize their dreams, Addie and Samantha must focus on rebuilding their relationship. But will the neighborhood open their hearts to welcome them home?

Review

I received an eARC copy of this book from the publisher. Here is my honest review.

This book was such a surprise! I loved the cover and the title made me think I was going to get a heart-warming story (set in the South or Midwest) that would be easy to read and a delight.
In the end, this is a heart-warming story and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. What surprised me was that this wasn't just a bit of fluff story about cousins and food and relationships. It was that but had such depth and emotion that really drew me in. 
The story follows two cousins: Sam and Addie and is told in alternating points of view. They are the best of friends who face a crisis; Lampman wrote them both so well that you love them both and can't possibly take sides. They both must look at who they are, what in their past has shaped them into who they are and what they will retain to take into the future and become.
I also loved the setting: broken down Detroit that these girls and those in their sphere see as a beloved town on the brink of greatness. They are committed to rebuilding the city and building solid foundations of relationships that tear down barriers such as race, ethnicity and economics. To top it all off, food is woven throughout this book in delectable, mouth-watering ways. Recipes included at the end. If only The Welcome Home Diner were real.....

I gave this book: 

★ = I did not like it     ★ = It was okay     ★ = I liked it    
★ = I really liked it     ★ = I loved it

No comments: