Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Silent Shadows by Natalie Walters, A Review

Silent Shadows (Harbored Secrets #3)


Amazon          Goodreads          Barnes and Noble
Books-A-Million          Lifeway          Christian Book          Book Depository

Book Description

Pecca Gallegos moved to the tiny town of Walton, Georgia, to protect her son and escape the dangerous lifestyle that once defined her. When a series of strange circumstances evolve into threats, Pecca finds herself confiding in an unlikely ally--her stubborn patient.

Army veteran Colton Crawford is desperate to recover from the undiagnosed disorder that is ruining his life, and his instincts are on high alert when threats against his nurse and her son force him to take action. But Colton's involvement only ramps up the danger when he uncovers a family secret revealing that whoever is after Pecca is closer--and more deadly--than they realized.

With this suspenseful new story, Natalie Walters welcomes you once more to Walton, Georgia, where everyone knows your name--but no one knows your secret.

Review

I received an ARC copy of this book from the publisher. Here is my honest review.

Silent Shadows was an interesting read, it is heavy on the suspense, light on the romance. I found the story engaging enough to keep reading to find out who was threatening Pecca but not exciting enough that I couldn't put it down. In fact, I was reading another mystery/thriller at the same time and that was the story I kept wanting to go to. If I had not already been reading the other book, my engagement with Silent Shadows  might have been more. Spoiler: highlight to read. Of the three main characters - Pecca, Colton and Juan Pablo - I found the villain, Juan Pablo to be more interesting. Pecca and Colton both have issues that are genuine, but Walters developed their characters in a very shallow manner. I thought Juan Pablo was more interesting as a character: who was he exactly, what was his motivation? I was quite disappointed that he ended up being a bad guy and not a bad guy who was trying to set up the real bad guy and would redeem himself. 
Overall, I found the plot to be predictable, which is not necessarily a bad thing. My one issue with this book is the insta-romance between Pecca and Colton. They are both nice people and would have been an interesting love story if that has been the focus rather than a major portion of the book being devoted to the danger facing Pecca. 





I gave this book: 

★ = I did not like it     ★ = It was okay     ★ = I liked it    ★ = I really liked it     ★ = I loved it

No comments: