Thursday, May 7, 2020

The Super Miraculous Journey of Freddie Yates by Jenny Pearson, A Review

Amazon          Goodreads          Barnes and Noble
Books-A-Million                    Book Depository

Book Description

Facts are everything to eleven-year-old Freddie Yates: once you know a fact it’s yours to keep. After his grandmother dies and Freddie discovers his biological father might be alive and well in Wales, he decides to follow the facts. Together with his best friends Ben and Charlie, he sneaks off on the adventure of a lifetime (or at least, the summer holidays) to track down Freddie’s father.


Freddie doesn’t expect any miracles—they’re not real, after all. But when the three unwittingly set off a chain of inexplicable events via an onion-eating competition, a couple of superhero costumes, and some very angry antique thieves, Freddie discovers that some things can’t always be explained—and sometimes what you’re looking for has been with you the whole time.


Propulsive and hilarious, The Super Miraculous Journey of Freddie Yates is a heartwarming story about the true meaning of family.

Review

I received an eARC copy of this book from the publisher. Here is my honest review.

This is a tough book to review. As an adult, I enjoy middle grade fiction and overall, I liked this book. It did take some work to convince myself that these eleven year old boys could set off on an adventure of this magnitude. From an adult perspective, it's unbelievable. 
But this book isn't written for adults, it's written for kids, and if I review this book from the angle that it is for middle grade readers, it is much better. I do think older elementary readers would enjoy this book. They want to be taken seriously and the logistics of the adventure would not be an element that would throw them off. The wacky events are appealing and full of fun.
There were two things that I especially liked in this book: the friendship between the boys and the message about family.  In closing, The Super Miraculous Journey of Freddie Yates is a book that will leave you feeling good at the end.


I gave this book: 

★ = I did not like it     ★ = It was okay     ★ = I liked it    ★ = I really liked it     ★ = I loved it

No comments: