Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Summer Library Challenge: Week 1 - Library Survey

read

There is a challenge each week during the Summer Library Challenge (I should add completing these challenges to my goals I think!) For the first week, it's a survey all about our library - very fitting for the kickoff of a challenge that honors the local library. Am the only one who fears that someday, the local library will just be an abandoned building? Probably not in my lifetime....but what about for my great-great-great-great grandchildren?
You'll find my answers after each question.

Library Survey
1. What’s the name of your library and how close is it to where you live? The small city I live in has one library system (Amarillo Public Library) that has five branches. The nearest branch is 10 minutes if you hit every light. I can make it to the main branch is about 10 minutes as well since it is mostly highway. I've never been to the farthest branch but can't imagine that is would take more than 20 minutes to get there. 
2. How frequently do you go to the library? It really depends on several factors. I tend to go less in the winter (hate getting out in the dark and it gets dark really early). Other times of the year I can go every week or stretch it out if I am trying to focus on reading books that I already have in my personal library. 
3. What is the first section you normally go to when you get to the library? If my son is with me (and he usually is) we hit the kids section first. He is old enough now that after he finds books he can sit in a chair and read while he waits for me to create my stack. For my personal search, I always browse the new book section first.
4. Share a link to your library’s webpage. How often do you use it and what for? Amarillo Public Library  I'm not sure how often I use it. I frequently pull it up to grab the phone number or to check the calendar for events. I'm a preschool director and so during the school year I call several times to arrange for one of the librarians to come and read to our students. I have renewed items a few times online; it is not that easy to do so I typically just call and renew over the phone. I will also search the card catalog to see if they have a book or video that I am interested in.
5. Does your library have a summer reading program for your age group? Do you participate and why or why not? They do and I do. I participate because I love to read and I want to instill that same love of reading in my child. It's also fun to complete a challenge and win a prize. It's definitely a good way to get out of the house during the summer and do something besides tv or video games. Or clean.
6. What is one thing you can think of that would make your library better? I think they just changed their card catalog search and it seems more difficult to use than it used too. I'm not sure if our library does this or not --- but my sister lives in another town and her library has kindles that they check out with ebooks which seems like a pretty useful thing. I'd also really appreciate a 3 week loan period and the ability to renew items more than 3 times. 
7. Does your library have a self checkout station and do you use it more than the circulation clerks? No they do not and I am grateful for that! I love interacting with our librarians and staff. 
8. What programs have you attended or thought of attending at your library? One of the libraries had our favorite song and story programs when my son was little. We went every week and had the best time. My son is 7 and will still talk about it and ask to go to this day. Our library system is really good about hosting events for kids, teens and adults. We have attended many of them over the years. This past spring, they had an event every day during Spring Break. Our favorite was Super Hero day. As an adult, I'd love to join a book club; they have one but it meets during the day and it doesn't work for me with my work schedule.
9. Do you have family that utilizes the library with you? Who is your “library buddy”? My son is definitely my library buddy. My husband reads as well but he doesn't read as much as we do. He also prefers to buy all the books he reads so he isn't interested in stopping at the library very often. He did not grow up here so perhaps his childhood library wasn't as focused on drawing in people when he was young.
10. What is the best thing about your library? They are so helpful! They are part of a consortium that reaches outside our city limits and so it is very easy to get a book that you want, even if they don't have it. Another great feature is that if I want a book that is not in the branch that I am at, I can request it and they will send it across town for me to pick up at my nearest branch. Another feature I love about my library is that they always have book displays set up with suggestions. I typically frequent two branches and one of them a few months ago encouraged us to read a trilogy - and they had all the entire trio there for you to grab. It's always fun to see what librarians are pulling off the shelves to highlight.

1 comment:

Charnell @ Reviews from a Bookworm said...

Great post! I work in a library and I absolutely love it, well... most of the time. We're currently just getting ours ready for our Summer Reading Challenge and getting it all decorated. It's going to be a lot of fun this year :)