Sunday, February 15, 2015

Every Bitter Thing is Sweet:Tasting the Goodness of God in All Things by Sara Hagerty, A Review

Every Bitter Thing Is Sweet: Tasting the Goodness of God in All Things

Amazon         Goodreads

Book Description

In the age of fingertip access to answers and a limitless supply of ambitions, where do we find the God who was birthed in dirt and straw? Sara Hagerty found him when life stopped working for her. She found him when she was a young adult mired in spiritual busyness and when she was a new bride with doubts about whether her fledgling marriage would survive. She found him alone in the night as she cradled her longing for babies who did not come. She found him as she kissed the faces of children on another continent who had lived years without a mommy s touch.

In Every Bitter Thing Is Sweet, Hagerty masterfully draws from the narrative of her life to craft a mosaic of a God who leans into broken stories. Here readers see a God who is present in every changing circumstance. Most significantly, they see a God who is present in every unchanging circumstance as well.

Review

I received an eARC copy of this book from the publisher. Here is my honest review.

While I have not walked a path of infertility and adoption, this book has greatly impacted me.  I was able to relate to Hagerty on a faith level and there is so much in this book that resonates with me.  Years ago in a Bible Study, someone asked, "Do you know Jesus or do you know Jesus?"  That simple statement set off a desire in me to know Jesus in a deeper way than just being able to recall a Bible story.  Hagerty captures this in her book - she knows Jesus and shares how knowing Him in a deep way rests not just in believing in His truth that is laid out for us in His word but recognizing Him (his face, scent, touch) just as we do those who are most precious to us in earthly form.

This is not a "how-to" book with detailed steps that one can check off.  Hagerty doesn't spell it out in her book, but I would guess that if asked, she would simply tell you to start: talking to God, reading His word, spending moments in your day that you can turn your focus and thoughts to Him rather to other things. This book will show how even in the midst of despair, God is seeking you and that finding peace and joy is possible. 

I highly recommend this book.  I plan to purchase a hard copy of this book to read again at a later date.

I gave this book: 

★ = I did not like it     ★ = It was okay     ★ = I liked it    
★ = I really liked it     ★ = I loved it


Want to Know More?
You can visit Sara's website here: Every Bitter Thing is Sweet
Download the Book Discussion Guide.
She also has a wonderful resource titled Adoration; each month she has compiled a list of ways that we can adore God - one for each day.


No comments: