Thursday, October 5, 2017

A Trio of Book Reviews

Secret Lives of Husbands and Wives

Amazon             Goodreads

Suburbia is a jungle, filled with lots of vicious creatures.


Review

Source: Library 

I picked this book up because I thought the title was intriguing and I liked the cover. The story was okay: I didn't hate it (entirely) and I didn't enjoy it as much as I do my usual 3-star reads. I was really hoping that the book would not end with couples split by divorce; that was a futile endeavor. While I think Brown did a fair job of fleshing out well developed characters, I didn't really find myself connecting with any of them; my favorite was a tertiary male character that worked from home in a technical field and was maligned by the neighborhood despite being one of the most normal residents of all. 


I gave this book: 

★ = I did not like it     ★ = It was okay     ★ = I liked it    
★ = I really liked it     ★ = I loved it

Sweet Tea Tuesdays



Amazon             Goodreads

Three best friends met every Tuesday for twenty-six years. And then they stopped. 

Review

Source: Kindle Unlimited

I loved the idea of three friends who spent over 25 years sharing a daily cup of tea on the front porch. This book explores the friendship of three women who are very different but are the best of friends. I laughed at the beginning and bawled (not cried, bawled) at the end with bouts of disgust, frustration, anger, hopelessness, and understanding along the journey in between.  Stories about life-long friendships always fascinate me and Farley wrote a story that was funny, raw, honest, heart-breaking, and ultimately, redemptive. Each of the women: Georgia, Midge and Lula, are so beautifully captured that you can find pieces of each of them to identify with. They have a major falling out and yet, as the reader, you can't pick a side....all you can do is root for them to look past the moment to the past that has drawn them together for 26 years. In the end, they discover that true friendship may face trials, but it can never be completely destroyed. 

I did cry at the end of the book - I couldn't help it - I felt as if I was a fourth friend and felt their loss so completely.


I gave this book: 

★ = I did not like it     ★ = It was okay     ★ = I liked it    
★ = I really liked it     ★ = I loved it

Help Wanted (An on the Job Romance #1)

Amazon              Goodreads

Interoffice dating can only lead to trouble—unless it leads to true love . . .

Review

This was a pretty cute romance that had some more serious plot twists. I admired the heroine for being brave enough to start over after a misunderstanding results in her being fired. The whole setup of her finding a new job and the parameters within that company are completely believable which for me, is a must in a romance book such as this. 
One thing that really surprised me was that Hanson used a stalker and even a physical attack on Kenley; this took the book from just a romance with a guaranteed happy ending to a book that explores a serious issue. It wasn't easy for Kenley to recover from the experience but Hanson wrote it in such an authentic and hopeful way. You are getting more than just a formulaic romance with this book. 

I won this book as a giveaway here on Goodreads - thank you to the giveaway sponsor - yet this is an honest review.


I gave this book: 

★ = I did not like it     ★ = It was okay     ★ = I liked it    
★ = I really liked it     ★ = I loved it

No comments: