Thursday, October 12, 2017

The Memory of Butterflies by Grace Greene, A Review

The Memory of Butterflies by Grace Greene

Amazon          Goodreads          Barnes and Noble
Books-A-Million                    Book Depository

Book Description
(see full synopsis at Goodreads)

To keep a devastating family secret from being revealed, a young mother’s desperate lies could end up destroying everything, and everyone, she loves. The Memory of Butterflies is a poignant story of family and forgiveness—of knowing when to let go and when to hold each other close.

Review

Source: Goodreads giveaway prize. Here is my honest review.

I was intrigued from the moment I first read the following on page 1: "...including the memory of how I lost my Ellen seventeen years ago, then found her again."

In The Memory of Butterflies, Greene explores several themes, the strongest of which is love, specifically a mother's love. In Hannah's story, it is clear that this is a love that is boundless and not reserved solely for those grown inside our womb.

The story alternates between present day and flashing back to the past from Hannah's teenage years and moving forward to the present. The story is not a new one (young girl unexpectedly pregnant and left to raise a baby without help from the father) but it is engrossing. Hannah is such a strong and independent female character that one can't hardly believe she fell for the dashing and manipulative teen boy while also knowing that without a doubt she will be a wonderful and dedicated mother who will rise to the struggles of motherhood (single or not). 

In short, Hannah's story is so engrossing that I couldn't put the book down. I had to finally concede defeat with about 80% left as I was bleary eyed and knew that I didn't want to miss any of the conclusion. I was awake before dawn and reaching for the book to find out what happens and what consequences Hannah will face for the decisions she made as a young mother. 

And oh my - those decisions.....I can so easily see how Hannah chose what she did and I do not fault one bit. Not one. And it's a good thing the really important people in her life don't fault her either. It's summed up so beautifully here: "We all make mistakes, right? Some we can take back. Some we can’t.” Or wouldn’t even if we could, I added silently." (pg 172) Oh Hannah, what you did - loving a child, wholly and completely and unselfishly - could never be a mistake. 

I am so thankful to Amazon Publishing for offering this as a giveaway and grateful to have been a winner! This book is a treasure.

I gave this book: 

★ = I did not like it     ★ = It was okay     ★ = I liked it    
★ = I really liked it     ★ = I loved it

No comments: