Monday, January 5, 2009

Bluebird of Happiness


One of the NYE challenges on splitcoast was to create an Asian themed card. I combined it with challenge to create something using 'new' product (my first time using Pacific Point - not sure if I like it or not). I just got this stamp set in and as I was pondering what exactly to do with it, I remember a book I read long ago that talked about the bluebirds of happiness. I had also just finished reading "The Magic of Ordinary Days" (which is a great book and an even more wonderful Hallmark movie). In the book. there is descriptions of the Japanese American interns and the simple, but lovely life they lead. Asian is not really a stamping theme that I have a lot of supplies for (I have 1 stamp and wasn't interested in digging for it) so I decided to create a card that embodied the principles of Asian design: clean, graphic, nature elements and asymmetrical.
Even though this card is nothing like the cards with all the fluff, I am so proud of how it turned out!! First, for the tree, I knew I wanted some shading in it so I inked it with Close to Cocoa and then just randomly tapped my Chocolate Chip marker on it. I also used the marker and went along some of the edges of the image for shadowing. My bird (from Live Your Dream) is inked in Baja Breeze and then Pacific Point. I used the happy sentiment from Define Your life.
I hope that the Bluebirds of Happiness visit you often in this new year!! Thanks for stopping by - I love all the sweet things ya'll have had to say!! Have a beautiful week!

8 comments:

Kimmie said...

sweet card. that tree stamp is so neat!

Jennifer_GlitterInMyHair said...

Very nice work Cassie. Super clean and simple, love that!

Jessica Diedrich said...

I wouldn't have ANYTHING for an asian theme either...I think you did great w/ this. The tree and the clean lines really pick up that "feel". I hope some bluebirds start chirping around here soon!!!

Dawn♥ said...

Lovely card and love the stamps! :)

Valerie said...

lovin the tree stamp...great card!

Anonymous said...

Sweet creation!! :) TFS!

Jami said...

I am completely in love with this card! Love the clean crisp look, and love how you used the definition!
hugs, Jami

Eva said...

Ohhhh....another beauty!!!