Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Cuttlebug Be Inspired 49: Mini Album

The Cuttlebug Challenge blog is continuing on with our Birthday Palooza! This week are making mini albums to record the moments of the party! Since my theme is a '50s Sock Hop/Grease I went with my color scheme of pink and black and white. One of the major icons of this era is the poodle skirt and that inspired my mini album!

I was doing some searching many weeks ago looking for poodle patterns and came across some "history" of the poodle skirt. NOT that I can find that link today! One said that it was invented by a lady who didn't sew but needed something special for a holiday party. She grabbed felt since it wouldn't require hemming and such and just cut out a wide circle and then decorated it. And then sold it to someone at the party!!! A business was born!

In searching for that link I found this really neat explanation - no reference to who invented it but lots of talk about how teens loved it because of the SWING when dancing to Rock-N-Roll! And something about the leash meaning you had a steady guy and no leash meaning you were playing the field!?! Oooh la la!!

I created an album that was SO SIMPLE to put together. I just sketched out a rough triangle in the shape of my skirt, cutting several pages. I used some Black Magic Coredinations -- so my album alternates between pink and black as the paper is double sided. Very cool even thought I didn't sand it. I hemmed and hawed for about an hour trying to decide if I wanted to emboss my skirt or not. Finally opted to just emboss the little petticoat/crinoline that is peeking out from below.
I found the poodle pattern by searching for poodle skirts in Google Images. You can find it here (along with several other free applique patterns!) After trimming her out, I covered her in Fun Flock and added a bling collar and drew in a leash - because I am after all wholly committed to the 2 guys in my life!!! *wink*
Please visit the Cuttlebug Challenge blog to see what the rest of the designers came up with for this challenge! We'd love to have you play along as well!

13 comments:

Nicola said...

Wow this is gorgeous Cassie, love your album and those pretty ribbons and that wee poodle and punching are gorgeous details.
Hugs,
Nicola -x-

June Houck said...

Love the trapezoidal shape. Fabulous theme...you've got me singing Beach Boys tunes in my head :)

csroyal said...

This is so darn cute!!!

Shantaie said...

Cassie,
your skirt is one of my favorite albums this week, your poodle is a show stopper for sure!

Unknown said...

This is so FUN! totally cute and totally creative...love it!

(-: Heidi

Ingrid said...

What a cute mini. Great take on this week's challenge.

Meda said...

How fun! I loved reading about your creative process.

Wellnifty said...

So cute, great album

Chris xx

Esther Asbury said...

Very, very cute! You did a fabulous job! Interesting post too!

Anonymous said...

How `Beautiful` Cassie TFS Have a fab Evening:)xxx

LollyChops said...

I love this little fella! The shape is so cute!

Heather Schlatter said...

Cassie,

This is just so so so so cute I love it I love the retro poodle skirt days I wish I had been around those days because the way girls dressed looked like so much fun!!!!

Heather

SJDWolf said...

Really cute! Thanks for the history lesson too :-)