Thursday, July 17, 2014

Better Off Friends by Elizabeth Eulberg, A Review ★★★★★

Better off Friends

Amazon          Goodreads          Barnes and Noble
Books-A-Million         Book Depository     

Book Description

For Macallan and Levi, it was friends at first sight. Everyone says guys and girls can’t be just friends, but these two are. They hang out after school, share tons of inside jokes, their families are super close, and Levi even starts dating one of Macallan’s friends. They are platonic and happy that way.

Eventually they realize they’re best friends — which wouldn’t be so bad if they didn’t keep getting in each other’s way. Guys won’t ask Macallan out because they think she’s with Levi, and Levi spends too much time joking around with Macallan, and maybe not enough time with his date. They can’t help but wonder . . . are they more than friends or are they better off without making it even more complicated?

From romantic comedy superstar Elizabeth Eulberg comes a fresh, fun examination of a question for the ages: Can guys and girls ever really be just friends? Or are they always one fight away from not speaking again — and one kiss away from true love?

Review

I received an eARC copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. Here is my honest review.


I really, really enjoyed this book. When I first marked it as read I rated it with 4 stars but now that I am writing my review, I am changing it to  5 stars. 

Right off the bat, the cover and title grabbed me. I always enjoy stories about friends who fall in love. This young adult romance handled this plot setting better than I expected. Typically with young adult books, teens fall in love but I am not always left with a sense that it is an everlasting love. Eulberg however, wrote a story with two wonderful characters that I actually believe will end up 20 years down the road, still "high-school sweethearts".

One of the things I really enjoyed was the story told from both Macallan's and Levi's points of view. It flowed seamlessly. Reading an eARC meant that there might have been some formatting issues which could make this setup difficult to follow; however, the use of the swing silhouette to mark each transition was ingenious (and cute). I also thought the writing style was refreshing (for me) as it felt like the couple was being interviewed for some Barbara Walters special-type show. It wouldn't work for very many books, but it definitely worked for this one. 

What made this book unique and really enjoyable was the fact that Macallan and Levi were truly just friends for many years before realizing that their friendship was more than that. 

The parents - another great part of this story. They aren't perfect, but they aren't portrayed as complete loser idiots either, which I really appreciated. 

I really enjoyed this book and definitely recommend it.

I gave this book: 

★ = I did not like it     ★ = It was okay     ★ = I liked it    
★ = I really liked it     ★ = I loved it

Want to Know More


Other Books:
Prom and PrejudiceRevenge of the Girl with the Great PersonalityThe Lonely Hearts ClubTake a Bow

2 comments:

Tressa @ Wishful Endings said...

I have got to get to this book! I've had it from NetGalley for months and all my blogger friends loved it and so I know I will. My schedule has just been so full. I've read one of her books and need to check out the others as well. Great review!

Tressa @ Wishful Endings

Cassie said...

I want to read more by her as well! I hope you'll find time to read it and enjoy it!