Thursday, July 31, 2014

The Mermaid and the Shoe by K. G. Campbell, A Review ★★★★

The Mermaid and the Shoe

Amazon          Goodreads          Barnes and Noble
Book Depository


Book Description

Each of King Neptune's 50 mermaid daughters boasts a special talent, except for little Minnow, who seems to be good only?at asking questions. When she finds a strange object, Minnow follows her questions to a wondrous place and finds answers, including the answer to the most important question of all: Who am I? A gorgeously illustrated story about finding one's purpose.

Review


I received an eARC copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. Here is my honest review.

At first glance, I wasn't sure if I would like this book. The illustrations are a little dark, but that is a truer portrayal of the depths of the sea. They are also very soft and calming. Campbell captured the gentle motion of the water very well. 

In reading the first few pages, it appears that this book is a re-telling of The Little Mermaid (think Disney classic here). As I read further, it became it's own story. Minnow doesn't appear to have any exceptional talents but she proves to be full of questions and quite daring and observant. 


I ended up really enjoying this story. For preschool children, it would be wonderful to pair with objects that might not be familiar to them and ask if they know what it is and how it is used. 

I gave this book: 

★ = I did not like it     ★ = It was okay     ★ = I liked it    
★ = I really liked it     ★ = I loved it

No comments: