Friday, July 25, 2014

Friday Book Memes, featuring A Paris Apartment

The Book of Life (All Souls Trilogy, #3)

I have had The Book of Life by Deborah Harkness on hold request at the library for the last few weeks. They called yesterday that it was ready so I of course had to dash over and pick it up. I haven't started it yet because there are things I need to get done in a timely manner and I know that I'll be immersed in the story and won't want to put it down. So I'm holding off for a few days. I did browse a few shelves and picked up a few other books to add to the stack. I spied one of the books on my reading list that fits perfectly with the Paris in July event hosted this month by A Wandering Life. Anything Paris related goes and there have been some really wonderful posts this month. 

Paris In July 003

 I began reading  A Paris Apartment by Michelle Gable last night and that is where today's selections come from.

A Paris Apartment

I'm about a fourth of the way into the book and it is very good so far. I admit that I added this to my TBR list based solely on the title and cover (recurring theme around here).  I told myself that I would read a chapter or two this morning over breakfast and a cup of tea. But then I finished breakfast and kept reading, beginning a new chapter without realizing that I had meant to stop. Does this ever happen to you?



Chapitre I
(yes, it actually uses the French....*sigh*)

She only wanted to get out of town. 



p.56
Despite its lack of decorative charm, April loved the place upon sight. She loved the location, its original thick-plank wood floors and how one side of the living room was more windows than wall. April imagined herself leaning against the panes at night, a glass of wine in hand, the city twinkling before her. The apartment did not show all it had to offer, but it still showed Paris. 


The cover shows some wide-planked floors that have been whitewashed; paired with that paragraph above.....I'm thinking that I could fall in love with floors like that in my house. I've always been a carpet girl, but my kitchen floor is one of those things I work really hard to ignore. These floors call me to me!
Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Beautiful cover, and it sounds as though it is good especially since you couldn't stop.

Definitely happens to me all the time.

I say I will read only 50 pages and it ends up that I read 100 or more.

ENJOY your reading weekend. Looks like you have a good book.

Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews
My Book Beginnings

Sandra Nachlinger said...

I can see why that cover (and the book's title) appealed to you! Sounds like a good one.
Here's the link to my Friday post: REMIX.

fredamans said...

Why did she want out of town I wonder....
That 56 makes the place sound so lovely. An apartment anyone would surely pine for. :-)

Happy weekend!

Katherine P said...

This looks so good! I've been wanting to read this since I first saw it awhile ago. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it! I've definitely started a new chapter without realizing it before!