Thursday, July 31, 2014

Catwoman's Nine Lives by Matthew K. Manning, A Review ★★★★

Catwoman's Nine Lives by Matthew K. Manning

Amazon          Goodreads          Barnes and Noble
          Book Depository


Book Description

After stealing a prized necklace, Catwoman manages to escape Batman s pursuit only to find the Penguin waiting for her in her apartment.The Penguin asks her to kidnap the Ventriloquist s prized puppet, Scarface, so he can hold it hostage so the Ventriloquist's gang will stop stealing the Penguin's profits.Catwoman flawlessly pulls off the caper only to discover that the Ventriloquist has decided to wage war on the Penguin's forces in retaliation--and neither ultra-violent villain is willing to back down! Not wanting blood on her hands, Catwoman decides to team-up with Batman to set things right--but even with the Dark Knight's assistance, the odds are severely stacked against them.

Review

I received an eARC copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. Here is my honest review.

When I requested this book, I was expecting a comic so I was pleasantly surprised to see that it is a book with comic panels interspersed throughout. 

Not being a Batman expert, I thought the story was well-written and portrayed the characters how I am familiar with them. I thought the panels of artwork were very well done. The writing is engaging and would be great for an advanced reader. As an educator, I appreciate the rich vocabulary used as well as the detailed descriptions and complex sentence structure. Netgalley noted that the book contained "visual discussion questions, and writing prompts to enhance visual literacy and improve critical reading skills." The questions are well-written and provide a great jumping off point that any parent or teacher could extend even further. 

I enjoyed this book and would look for more books like it to share with my son and other young readers. I believe that children should always be able to just read something they enjoy; with this book, they will also increase their literacy skills through great writing and vocabulary.

I gave this book: 

★ = I did not like it     ★ = It was okay     ★ = I liked it    
★ = I really liked it     ★ = I loved it

No comments: