Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Summer Library Challenge - Reviewing Library Books

read
Reviewing Library Books - week of June 30. The topic of discussion this week asks if you review the library books you read and if so, any organization to it?

I prefer to read and view book reviews that are short and to the point. I don't like spoilers so I will either completely skip or scan reviews that are lengthy as I don't want to know any plot points. So those are the type of reviews that I tend to write as well. I started this year wanting to post reviews and ratings on Goodreads for the books I read and until the last three weeks I've done pretty well at doing so. It should be noted though that during the school year I wasn't visiting the library as often as we do during the summer (several times a week); most of the books I've reviewed in 2014 have not been library books. But I have been wrapped up in decluttering my house and reading when not doing that instead of writing reviews.
During June, the Yearathon challenge revolved around Rick Riordan. I started the Percy Jackson series and enjoyed it sooo much more than I thought I would, that I got really wrapped up in it. Instead of reviewing each book, I decided that I would write up a series review....which I still need to do.

Here are a few library books that I did review at Goodreads.
The Funeral DressMarshmallows for Breakfast by Dorothy KoomsonChasing Hope by Kathryn CushmanIn the Bag by Kate Klise
The Funeral Dress by Susan Gregg Gilmore
Marshmallows for Breakfast by Dorothy Koomson
Chasing Hope by Kathryn Cushman
In the Bag by Kate Klise

The Good Wife by Jane PorterUndressing Mr. Darcy by Karen DoornebosThe Butterfly Sister by Amy Gail Hansen
The Good Wife by Jane Porter
Undressing Mr. Darcy by Karen Doornebos
The Butterfly Sister by Amy Gail Hansen

I notice that most of these books have made my Top Ten list for best books of the year so far.

And then some books I just rate such as these:

Junie B. Jones and the  Stupid Smelly Bus (Junie B. Jones, #1)The Jane Austen Book Club
Junie B. Jones and the Stupid Smelly Bus by Barbara Park ★ = I liked it   
The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler  ★ = I liked it   
Stuck in the Middle (Sister to Sister, #1)Age before Beauty (Sister-to-Sister, #2)Third Time's a Charm (Sister-to-Sister, #3)
Sister-to-Sister series by Virginia Smith ★ = I liked it   (books 1 & 2) ★ = It was okay (book 3) 

In looking back at what I've been reading for the last several months, I noticed that my reviews of library books tapered off when I discovered ARC books and began requesting those to read and review. Once I get caught up on those, I would like to strike a balance as I find it fun to just wander the rows at the library and wait for a title to grab my attention.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, I loved Kate Klise and Butterfly Sister was my first ARC ever! Great range of books!

Katelynn
www.literarychameleon.blogspot.com

Kristen said...

I love your post! I get lazy on goodreads and mark them with stars and really not much else besides giving them shelves after reading them. I'll add them to a "needs-review" shelf if I want to try to review it on the blog. I find that I go through spurts of reviewing library books and then I tend to avoid the library because I have too many books at home. THanks for your insights on the topic, love this post!

Tressa @ Wishful Endings said...

You got some decent reading in. I love the cover of In the Bag. That same stock photo is used for Blond Ops, which I enjoyed. I'll have to check out your review of Chasing Hope since that's one I've been curious about.

Tressa @ Wishful Endings