Friday, July 31, 2009

DRS Designs Featured Friday Stamper

Good morning girls! Oh, how I have been waiting for this day - forever it seems! Waaaay back at the beginning of the year I applied for the DRS designs Design Team but did not make the cut. They did however offer me a spot in their Featured Friday lineup. I was happy to accept as I'm sure you can imagine!!


I first noticed DRS designs on Vicki's blog, Stamped Smiles. And during this year, I've also seen them around more and more! What's great about DRS is that they have such a range of images - from the very cute and whimsical to the elegant. And such terrific sentiments too!
My first card uses the Silhouette Cowboy stamp. I'm a sucker for silhouette stamps and think cowboys are just terribly romantic - in a rugged sort of way!

I created this card over a month ago for my brother's birthday. He isn't what I'd call a "cowboy" but he does love a good John Wayne western and had a few of those movies on his birthday wish list. So this seemed like the perfect image to use!


I really wanted an aged, weathered look - almost like really worn, soft and warm, leather. Both the base and the main image piece of cardstock were misted and crumpled. smoothed out. and crumpled some more. Then I highlighted the wrinkles with some Distress Inks to bring out all those awesome wrinkles.
Since it was for my brother I wanted to keep it very masculine so I kept the embellishments to a minimum!
My other card uses Cindy Haffner's sketch from the Dare to Get Dirty challenges at SCS and also fits the "wings" challenge! This butterfly image is hands-down one of the prettiest butterflies I've ever seen - it's called Filigree Butterfly. I love the flourishes in it!
Here you can see how I cut it out and popped it up. I used more foam squares on one side of the butterfly than the other so it would look like it was turning --- kinda off the paper.
After stamping the butterfly, I went over it with my Spica clear glitter pen to add sparkle. I had tossed around the idea of adding gems in the corners and on the scallops and it just seemed to be too much. I wanted the focus on that gorgeous butterfly and the pretty paper!!

I did add a few gems on some of the flourishes.
What do you think?
Enough sparkle?
Or not enough sparkle?

If you aren't familiar with the images at DRS designs, take a moment to swing over and
check 'em out!! Another bonus is they have lots of sample cards on their shopping pages so it's easy to see the possibilities in an image and get some inspiration!
Have a beautiful day!!

10 comments:

Girlsinthecraft said...

Wow Cassie, you did a fabulous job! I just love the cowboy card. So masculine and you really pulled off that leather feeling. Great using the distress inks (my fav)! And the butterfly card is gorgeous. You're right, that stamp is one of the most beautiful butteflies I've seen. You added just the right amount of sparkle. Good thinking to keep the focus on the butterfly. Both creations are truly phenomenal!............deanna

Becky said...

These are gorgeous. I love how you did those cowboys, so creative. And the second one is just beautiful, love the color combo and that butterfly is fluttery delicious.

Mary G. said...

Wow! The cowboy card DOES look like weathered leather! The second card is pretty. LOVE the right colors!

Vicki said...

Awesome job on these, Cassie! Love the look of the cowboy card! And your butterfly is gorgeous! Blessings to you!

Michelle said...

cassie.. these are wonderful cards...
im always happy to get inspiration for GUY card ideas...
TFS!
michelle.

June Houck said...

Congrats on your Friday spot!!!

Your Raspberry Tart card has the perfect amount of sparkle, IMHO.

I like both cards very much.

Kim Sonksen said...

I love both cards but HOLY MOLY am I adoring your butterfly card. It has all my fave ingredients: pink, bling and butterfly.
Gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Cassie!! YEAH for you!! Congrats on being the Featured stamper today!! I posted over on the blog, but just in case you don't see it, I thought I'd come over here to tell you that I think your projects are awesome girl!! I love what you did with the cowboys stamp and that butterfly is so beautiful with your special touches on it!! ;) I hope to see you use more of those DRS images girl!! Have a wonderful weekend!! HUGS

Rebecca Ednie said...

Come on by to visit my blog, there is a surprise for you there!

Rebecca Ednie said...

I lOVE the leather look. I think cowboys are kinda romantic too. at least in my mind. IRL I expect they are sweaty and dirty and not always so gentlemanly!