Sunday, May 25, 2014

Plain Jayne by Laura Drewry, A Review ★★★★★

18666229

Amazon          Goodreads          Barnes and Noble

Book Description

In Laura Drewry’s funny, heartwarming Loveswept debut, a man and a woman learn the hard way that a little bit of love makes staying friends a whole lot harder.

Worn out from the long drive back home, Jayne Morgan can only smirk at the irony: Of course the first person she sees from her old life is Nick Scott. Once best friends, they lost touch when Jayne left town at eighteen, but nothing could keep them apart forever. Jayne has returned to take over her grandmother’s bookstore, determined to put all her bittersweet memories and secret disappointments strictly in the past—until, that is, Nick insists she bunk at his place.

Nick never did care what people thought about having a girl for a best friend—or the “scandal” she caused by showing up to his wife’s funeral four years earlier—so he’s got no problem with the gossips now. Jayne was always the one person he could count on in his life. Now Nick is starting to realize that he never wants her to leave again . . . and that being “just friends” isn’t going to be enough anymore.

Includes a special message from the editor, as well as an excerpt from another Loveswept title.

Review

I received an eARC copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. Here is my honest review.

This is one of the best romance books I've read in quite some time. I always love stories that focus on best friends falling in love; Drewry knocks this cliche storyline out of the park! Nick is the classic, all around great guy and Jayne is the typical off-beat and cute girl. (I realize they are 30 in the story...I'm from Texas and girl is pretty generic term for a female.) The supporting characters are written just as well. The believable everyday happenings made this story feel very genuine as opposed to the billionaire whisking a girl away that typically appears in a romance. I'm not sure if this would've taken away from the story if it wasn't present (it certainly added to the story) but the inclusion of quotes from the classic John Hughes movies was really fun. It certainly was nostalgic and I have this urge to watch Some Kind of Wonderful and Pretty in Pink like you wouldn't believe!

One thing I especially appreciated was how tame this story is without sacrificing a building awareness between Nick and Jayne. There are toe-curling kisses and implied intimacy yet it was refreshing to not have the aspect written out over a handful of pages.

SPOILER - possibly.....Nick does have a girlfriend at the beginning of the story. Unlike typical romances, she was very likable and Nick handled the ending of that relationship with great integrity.

The only drawback for me was the large amount of curse words used; this isn't enough for me to deduct stars as the story was wonderful but it does bear mentioning and would be a caveat that I would have to add when recommending.

This book is definitely going to be one of my favorites that I will read again. I enjoyed it so much, that I just went and bought a personal copy!

I gave this book: 

★ = I did not like it     ★ = It was okay     ★ = I liked it    
★ = I really liked it     ★ = I loved it

No comments: