Monday, May 26, 2014

Top Ten Books About Friendship

Top Ten Books About Friendship hosted at The Broke and the Bookish.
Friendship is so important in life and there are some books that capture that special bond so well. Here are some books that I feel portray friendship in a beautiful way.
2
1. Harry Potter series. Friendship is the second biggest theme in Harry Potter. I appreciate how Rowling showed that friends come in many forms. The friendship Harry has with Ron and Hermione is certainly important, but so is the friendship that he shares with Hagrid, an adult; Dobby, a house elf who are often disregarded; Hedwig; the Marauders.....the list is long.
298538
2. The Same Sweet Girls by Cassandra King. This book highlights friendships that have lasted for decades. Six women who are very different from each other yet banded together in college reunite as mature women to support their friend who is diagnosed with cancer. I read this book years ago yet still remember how moving it was.
17347637
3. Undressing Mr. Darcy by Karen Doornebos. I read this book this spring and it is probably more a book of self-discovery or romance but the friendships between the characters in this book are what made it such a great read! Vanessa is very focused yet finds deep genuine friendships in people that she initially was inclined to dismiss. I also enjoyed how a lost friendship being renewed was part of the story.
Anne Of Green Gables (ARose Books Edition)
4. Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery. Is there any deeper friendship than that of a "kindred spirit"? The friendships that Anne cultivates remind me that there is always something in every one of us that is loveable and to seek to find that.
183116
5. Trixie Belden series. Oh how I loved this mystery series as a young girl. The concept of finding a friend who accepts you as you are as well as siblings as close friends appealed to me on a very deep level. I also loved how much independence the gang had and as an adult now, it seems so idyllic.

6. Winnie the Pooh. A classic. If your only frame of reference is the animated series, please check this book out and read it. It is endearing. And a wonderful way to introduce rich vocabulary to a child.


Well, I managed six and I'm going to be happy with that for my first foray into this meme.

No comments: