Friday, August 8, 2014

Close Call (A Liz Carlyle novel) by Stella Rimington, A Review ★★★★★


Amazon          Goodreads          Barnes and Noble
Books-A-Million          Book Depository

Publication Date: August 12, 2014

Book Description


The Arab Spring has swept through the Middle East and Liz Carlyle and her compatriots in the Thames House’s counter-espionage division are racing to investigate arms deals in Yemen. There’s a UN embargo forbidding any member country from supplying arms to either side in the uprisings, but Andy Bokus, head of the CIA’s London Station, has evidence that the weapons being smuggled into Yemen are not only being sold to both sides, but are coming from a connection in the UK—a highly embarrassing black mark on the government and, if true, full of disastrous consequences. 

British-American cooperation widens as Liz teams up with her old rival Bruno McKay, MI6’s Head of Station in Paris, and Isobel Florian of the French domestic service, the DCRI, to trail and trap the elusive weapons dealer. The evidence points to a former French intelligence officer, Antoine Milraud, who leads them all on a mad chase across Europe until investigators witness him passing something to an elegantly dressed, very mysterious man. 

When Milraud is caught and informs on his fellow conspirators, Liz finds herself embroiled in a larger, potentially explosive situation that twists all the way back to what she feared most—that the arms are being sold through the UK, and the mysterious man is closer and more capable of brutal violence than she ever could have imagined.

Review

I received an eARC copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. Here is my honest review.



Last summer I watched MI5, a British spy/thriller show, Netflix. When I saw the description for this novel on NetGalley, I had to request it and am so happy that I was approved. I enjoyed it immensely!  I have not read any of the other Liz Carlyle novels (which will be remedied) yet I did not feel lost in this story at all. Rimington did an excellent job of character development that it was easy to get to know all the players in this drama. 

The action felt very authentic and kept me captivated.   There was a moment so shocking that I actually gasped out loud and my husband wanted to know what happened.  I would've finished it yesterday (which was technically middle of the night Friday/Saturday) but I was falling asleep and knew I (a) didn't want to miss anything and (b) had to get up early to help my sister move. So I put it aside and finished it on the drive over to my sister's. 

I gave this book: 

★ = I did not like it     ★ = It was okay     ★ = I liked it    
★ = I really liked it     ★ = I loved it

No comments: