Wednesday, August 20, 2014

There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly by Rashin Kheiriyeh, A Review


Amazon          Goodreads          Barnes and Noble
Books-A-Million                    Book Depository

Publication Date: September 1, 2014

Book Description


We all remember the old lady who swallowed a fly, a spider, a cat, a dog, a cow, and a horse. Now we know how she did it! Rashin's colorful and comedic illustrations take you mid-gulp to mid-belly as the animals are swallowed whole. Her devoted cat tries to help: Stop! Don t eat it. Try this! But when the old lady grabs the cat it s every beast for itself: Eat the dog! And when the old lady cheers: Catch it! the critters leap into action to catch the one that was swallowed before.

Review

I received an eARC copy of this book from the publisher. Here is my honest review.



The story of the Old Lady is always a hit with preschoolers, I think it's the repetition and the silliness.  Kheiriyeh's rendition is incredibly well done.  There are speech bubbles for many of the animals which make it great for readalouds and getting students involved in the storytelling.   What makes it stand out is the bright and bold colors.  There is a page depicting the animals in the Old Lady's stomach --- yet it is done in a cheery way that is not gross at all.  

As a teacher, I would definitely buy this edition to pair with other copies that I own.  I think it would be great fun to do a unit study on art and how illustrators use different techniques and mediums to portray the same story.  This story in general is terrific for sequencing as well. 

I gave this book: 

★ = I did not like it     ★ = It was okay     ★ = I liked it    
★ = I really liked it     ★ = I loved it

I will be linking this up for Waiting on Wednesday as it is definitely a book to add to our library!

No comments: