Monday, August 18, 2014

The Grudge Keeper by Mara Rockliff, A Review

The Grudge Keeper

Amazon          Goodreads          Barnes and Noble
Books-A-Million                    Book Depository

Book Description


No one in the town of Bonnyripple ever kept a grudge. 

No one, that is, except old Cornelius, the Grudge Keeper.

Ruffled feathers, petty snits, minor tiffs and major huffs, insults, umbrage, squabbles, dust-ups, and imbroglios--the Grudge Keeper received them all, large and small, tucking each one carefully away in his ramshackle cottage.

But when a storm flings the people together and their grudges to the wind, will the Grudge Keeper be out of a job?

Review

I received an eARC copy of this book from the publisher. Here is my honest review.


Preschoolers don't typically tend to hold on to grudges for very long.  They are amazingly adept at forgiving and moving on.  This would be a terrific text for older elementary students (and some teenagers and adults too).  It seems the older we get, the more we can hold on to a grudge (I know that I have held on to some.  Truth be told, I think I still have some).  Rockliff does a great job of showing that letting things go can lead to wonderful friendships.  This past week, a lady I was speaking with shared a great insight; she doesn't get angry about things because she can't change it -- what needs to be done is figuring out how to fix it.  That's a great lesson to learn and this book will help young children learn it early.

Since this is a children's book, the grudges are nothing serious so it will be easy for students to relate.  For older students (teens) I could see this text being open a discussion on grudges and how they can impact our life and those around us. 

This book was a great reminder to me ~ don't sweat the small stuff!

I gave this book: 

★ = I did not like it     ★ = It was okay     ★ = I liked it    
★ = I really liked it     ★ = I loved it

No comments: