Monday, August 11, 2014

Library Mouse by Daniel Kirk, A Review

Library Mouse (Library Mouse #1)

Amazon          Goodreads          Barnes and Noble
Books-A-Million          Lifeway          Christian Book          Book Depository

Book Description


Sam is a mouse who lives in a library. He loves to read all kinds of books. He learns that he also loves to make up and write his own stories, just like the books he finds in the library. He begins to leave his stories (that he also illustrates) in different parts of the library - the mystery he writes he places alongside the other mysteries.

Review

Source: Library book.  Here is my honest review.


I always browse the shelves at my local library, waiting for a title to whisper read me.  I have read some terrific books with this method.  Library Mouse is one of those books!  This adorable book celebrates writing and the author in all of us.  When my son was four, his preschool teacher taught them how to make a book and encouraged them to make books all day, every day.  This was continued by his kindergarten teacher;  He flourished in an environment where he was treated like an author.  This book tells the story of Sam who does not doubt his abilities but instead writes mouse-sized books and places them around the library he lives in.  He believes that anyone can be an author and created an environment that encouraged writing. 

This book would be a wonderful introduction to bookmaking for young students (preschool - kindergarten) as well as encouraging older students (first - fourth) to write.

The illustrations are vibrant and so very detailed.  For a lover of books, the idea of living in a library is certainly appealing!  Library Mouse is the first in a series of books by Kirk and I am looking forward to reading them!

I gave this book: 

★ = I did not like it     ★ = It was okay     ★ = I liked it    
★ = I really liked it     ★ = I loved it

Want to Know More?
Author's Website:  Daniel Kirk
His site is very well done and you should definitely check it out - especially if you are a teacher.
Here are the other books in the Library Mouse series
A Friend's Tale (Library Mouse #2)A World to Explore (Library Mouse #3) 
A Museum Adventure (Library Mouse #4)Library Mouse: Home Sweet Home

No comments: